Monday, February 24, 2014

Two Are Better



I work alone.  I'm a loner.  I can handle this on my own.  I don't need your help.  Or as my children have liked to say over the years, "I can do this By My Self."

Why do we want to do things the hard way?  I get that independence is a good thing, but why are we so stubborn sometimes that we refuse help from people who care about us? There are a lot of reasons, probably too many to go into here.  So, instead let me offer some reasons to accept help and work together.

Solomon said it this way a long time ago:

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
New International Version (NIV)

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.  But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

The first line really says it all, "Two are better than one."  God made us to work together.  We can accomplish so much more if we will give and receive help than we can if we go it alone.  There is multiplied power in numbers as well as safety, support, encouragement, and protection. When we work together our complimentary strengths can help overcome the areas where each of us would be weak on our own.

It is also true that if you or I choose to try and do it on our own that we give up the safety, support, encouragement, strength and protection that comes from being a part of a team.  No matter what our strengths and talents may be, if we are on our own we limit ourselves.  All we are left with is what we can bring to the table. 

That is why God gave us family, friends, the church, and Himself.  We don't have to be alone.

The bottom line is that two are better than one.






*Photo courtesy of cooldesign and FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment